The School of Library, Archives and Documentation Studies (SLADS) was founded in 1989. It was established under the then Ministry of Education and Culture and is run by the Tanzania Library Services Board (TLSB). Before the establishment of the School, TLSB was running Basic Library Training at Certificate level since 1972 at its headquarters in Dar es Salaam. This course was merged with SLADS in 1990. SLADS is Located at Ukuni 72 Kilometers from Dar es Salaam and 4 Kilometers from Bagamoyo town. The School is full registered with the National Council for Technical Education (NACTE) with registration number REG/PWF/1006P.
To be a competence-based training Institution for Librarians, Records Managers, Archives Administrators and Information Specialists worldwide.
To promote Library and Information Science Education through Training and Research.
Training for quality, competence and efficiency.
- To offer training courses in Librarianship, Records Management, Archives administration and Documentation studies at certificate and diploma Levels.
- Provide for Continuing education for Librarians, Records Managers, Archives Administrators and Information Specialists globally
- Promote and conduct research in Librarianship, Information Management, Records Management and Archive Administration
- Publish learning materials in librarianship, records management, and archives administration
- Offer consultancy services in planning, establishment and development of library, archives, records and information centers